Rejected As College Professor
I just got the news today that I was not selected as a final candidate at The University Of The Arts’ School Of Music. As you know, I was overly excited to be a college professor, if only because I think the current college model is broken and I could have really done some groundbreaking lessons for the students. Schools teach students how play faster, but they don’t teach their students how to apply these abilities in the real world, write a contract, negotiate a deal, or how to make a financial living in this new world.
As I’ve mentioned, my songs have been on hold as I was preparing for this position. Playing piano 7 hours a day, researching more about the program, speaking on panels at the university, traveling, etc.
I even had Amanda Palmer and David Weiss of SonicScoop/Mix Magazine as some of my letters of recommendations. And I worked hard on the presentation of my resume, and was confident in the quality of my work, character, and knowledge. The reason I worked so hard for this is because this school, my Alma Mater, is a place I continue to be so passionate about.
Perhaps this is for the better, my biggest flaw was that I have no college teaching experience. In some sense, that was a bit of a Catch 22 because it seems, to me at least, that my lack of college teaching is why I couldn’t teach at a college. But some of the best professors I’ve ever had weren’t Doctors or Masters. Some of my best music lessons didn’t even come from other musicians or teachers. Heck, some didn’t even graduate college at all - but they thought differently and shared that knowledge in an infectious and mind-shattering way.
Rejection builds me up. When The Philadelphia Orchestra rejected me as their Director Of Marketing last April, the following month I saw a jump of over 100,000 visitors to my site. I complain about how broken the orchestra world is, and to have been so close to change it from the inside and then have that taken away made me work harder than ever.
My rejections are at the core of my drive as a person. I’m sure it’s the same for all of us. I’ll now concentrate solely on ForOrchestra and put full force behind it in every way for you.
The only thing that has never rejected me is you - my community. The ForOrchestra Army is going to change the world.
- toksyuryel reblogged this from fororchestra
- edito-rial likes this
- buttermilk-cats likes this
- be-my-airplane likes this
- muncheechee likes this
- lyonhashaxs likes this
- rebuilding-a-broken-jamous likes this
- flickerfreaker likes this
- crocojim18 likes this
- maniizu reblogged this from luci-fierce
- zealouslyposting likes this
- grailas reblogged this from fororchestra
- grailas likes this
- ravingninja likes this
- suntonggi reblogged this from fororchestra
- hamham1228 likes this
- liliths likes this
- alchemickeyblader likes this
- susurrusparadox likes this
- kyronea likes this
- ceramicsquid likes this
- kaisalot reblogged this from fororchestra
- kaisalot likes this
- noklu likes this
- ashieyuxea likes this
- sunflowersmiler reblogged this from fororchestra
- sunflowersmiler likes this
- sixtythousandmilliseconds likes this
- luci-fierce reblogged this from fororchestra
- toksyuryel likes this
- patchedworklife likes this
- seangrafton likes this
- suiraitei likes this
- porcelainbee likes this
- bloodiesundae reblogged this from fororchestra
- lunathette likes this
- megatronus reblogged this from fororchestra and added:
- megatronus likes this
- marckeinchphotography likes this
- ghostycariboo likes this
- shameparade likes this
- supaslim likes this
- supaslim said: my design professor tells me to wallpaper my room with my rejection letters, to see how much I’ve been putting my name out. Each rejection letter is a person or group who now knows my name and work. Rejection is just a smaller victory than acceptance
- debussy-cat-dolls reblogged this from fororchestra
- roccondil likes this
- soufflesimmons likes this
- jacquelineismusical likes this
- starshipsandsuperheroes said: I’m sorry Walt, they don’t know what they’re missing!
- unbeknownstuntiltheend likes this
- hellaskary likes this